C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:23:07 EST
I'm a little more harsh Mike.  My term is "Able Body Supremacy."  ABS.

I want people to see, know, and FEEL that war which has existed a hellova lot
longer than since September 11, and that many more than 6,000 are abused,
robbed, sexually and otherwise exploited every day, and have been since the
dawn of history.

For some, a quick plane up the butt would be a hellova lot kinder (she said
in her usual ladylike way, that has come to make the Daughters of the
American Revolution so proud -- NOT).

Let all these famous people get together on this one, if they think they can
find the guts it takes to talk about something that may risk their standing
in this ablest culture.

I want the existence of the ABS philosophy to be visible so people can see
that it must, MUST, be conquered.

That was the basis for my "No public display of spasticity" regulation.  I
was making a joke out of it, but there was a serious message there, and I
wouldn't wish for that to be lost.

Now, having said that...it's time to say that we each have our own way of
handling our disability issues, just like ABs with allergies have their own
way.  I don't take allergy shots or pills, I just cope with this crap --
that's my decision.  I have no justification, however, to judge someone else
for managing his allergies in a more medically beneficial way.  How am I able
to know their needs?  Sometimes I am not even sure of my own needs.

Anyway, CP comes in so many different flavors (you guys make Baskin Robbins
look boring), how can one single method of treatment be the right thing for
everyone?  It's like what I have in that way.  I have to get on the Internet
to find people who are as severely affected with PN as I am. Most of the
people I know directly just have numb feet and stuff like that.  I'm majorly
gimped up.

Final comment: Until I am very old (if I get there, which is my goal) I will
always have elders.  In fact, I have elders on this list.  I might be
flippant with them in jest, but I am still aware of their superiority,
academically and/or in terms of general life experience.  I am beholden to my
elders and to myself to listen when they speak, and to give due consideration
to them for my own benefit.  They do not have to spend their time trying to
help me.  They could be doing something more lucrative or more edifying for
themselves.

My Dad was born in 1903.  In this regard -- this "respect for elders" regard
-- I was raised the way children were raised then.  Now, it seems, that
children are raised to think they are adults as soon as they are 18, instead
of adults-in-training.  In other words, they are little more than experienced
children.  I know this will hit a nerve with some, but it's not an insult.
If we didn't put so much pressure on these kids to think of themselves as
experienced adults, there might be a few less teen and early adult suicides.

Pride goeth before a fall.  Trust me.  I have empirical experience.

Betty
Allergies, Black Market CP, idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, osteoarthritis,
occasional heart burn, hearing impairment, gray hair, split ends, and
wrinkles.  Don't ask what sags.

In a message dated 11/09/2001 1:27:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Bobby, Joanne and Mag,
>
>  I think Matt is trying to say that the reason doctors, and to a large
>  extent, people in general have a negative concept of spasticity is
>  because spasticity isn't "normal."  Most spastic c.p.er's require a
>  wheelchair to get around, further aggravating the negativity.  As I've
>  pointed out, walking is very overrated.  I don't think with my feet...
>
>  Human beings being what we are, we really don't like differences in
>  other people or ourselves.  When we perceive something is other than the
>  norm, our tendency is to try to bring it to the norm (i.e. be
>  ablebodied), be it through surgery, drugs, or what have you.  I like
>  Betty's term for this. She calls it "ABLEISM."   That's not to say we
>  can't improve through therapy, assistive tech, and/or other ways, as
>  long as we realize we may never be at the norm.
>
>  mike

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
"I will either find a way or make one."