C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandy Goodwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:33:41 -0700
Hi Joy,

Small world ... I suggested the very same book!  (I have known the Abbotts
since the early '90's, when Natalie was maybe in 3rd grade).  Marcia did a
great job on the book, and Natalie is becoming a wonderful young lady.  At
our last conference, she finally felt 'grown up' enough to join the adults
in their workshops.

I wrote a letter, creatively (hehehehe!) later entitled "Letter to the
Teacher", when I became aware that many younger kids with Moebius were
experiencing difficulties in the classroom, and their families didn't know
what to do or say.  My letter is included in the "Resource Guide" put out
annually by 'Let's face It' (resource guide for people with facial
differences) and it's also on the MSF website somewhere.

Because there needs to be a planned and methodical way in which to address
"disability awareness" within the school setting, I have a particular
project that I want to do, but it will take time and resources.... The
"reality" in most classrooms is that 'special books' (such as "My Face") are
ONLY presented, read, etc., if and when someone makes a special effort to
get it read to the class.  In addition, few books which focus on people with
disabilities have the same literary qualities that one finds in the
top-notch, recognized books by such authors as Tomie de Paola, Ezra Jack
Keats and others.

My idea .... is to systematically identify the top-notch kiddie lit books
that have the potential to be "adapted"... One example is "The Snowy Day" by
Ezra Jack Keats, where Peter goes out in the snow and makes angels.  With a
little adaptation, the story could be essentially the same while Peter has
cp or spina bifida and uses a sled with a friend.  Adapt the story and
pictures ONLY enough to cover the necessities of the adapted story, and
develop a well-thought out "teacher's guide" that is developmentally
appropriate, realistic, and includes some vignettes about real kids and real
adults with the same disability AND names some of the barriers they face
(discrimination, when appropriate!) and how they overcome them, and how we
can work together to make this a more accepting world, etc.

Whaddya think???