C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Jeffries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:09:13 EDT
I've never had any help when I first moved out on my own.  the county MR/DD
and UCP said I was too high-functioning for their services.  When I went to a
business school, I failed accounting.  I didn't have a working aspect of
balancing budgets until I had my own checkbook years after I finished the
business school.  I get tired of those in this area that try to say I need
help.  I've been away from my parents for 13 years and I'm proud that I made
that choice to leave.  There were a couple mistakes I made but from those
I've grown stronger and more determined not to let those who don't want to
make anything in their life stand in my way.

    I've recently moved into a 4 bedroom house.  a social worker was saying
that why hasn't someone from some agency came by to assist me.  I told her
"I've been without assistance for years, so why should I need one now.  I
manage my money online, pay my bills online, and get my groceries on my own
although 3 backpacks and a stroller can't hold much, but I get what I need
when I need it."

I'm just one of those who wants to do as much as I can without people looking
over my shoulder.  The times that I did ask for help the situation became far
worse that if I found my own way to do it.

Michael Jeffries
AOL and Yahoo ID  MJeff25916
ICQ# 53522767

"Long ago and far away we had a point you know that we had to make, we won't
live for yesterday, ready or not we're going to have our way"

Twisted Sister  Wake Up (the sleeping giant)