C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:01:02 -0400
Susie,
    When I was a child, magazines and comic books used to contain
advertisements on the back pages.  One which I saw frequently read "f u cn
rd ths u cn gt a gd jb", and promised a bright future as a secretary to
anyone who could master the modified shorthand system the advertisers were
selling.  I don't know if anyone ever found employment as a result but, my
memory of the advertisement saved me hours of time and considerable
frustration as I went through college and later graduate school.  I found
that with a little practice, I could write and decipher notes written almost
entirely of consonants, numbers, and slash marks.  I used vowels only when
absolutely necessary to distinguish between words (for example, the word
motion was written mtn,the word emotion, emtn.) I used numbers whenever
possible (2 in place of to, too, or two interchangeably.) A/mark indicated
the end of a sentence, a double//indicated the end of a paragraph.  Major
shifts in topics were indicated by leaving a blank line in my notebooks,
between the notes on topic 1 and the notes on topic 2.
    That's how I did it, but you can of course adopt any symbols or
punctuation which you choose.  The major points are 1.  Your notebooks are
yours and don't have to be legible or understandable to anybody else as long
as they make sense to you and 2.  whatever system you design for yourself,
keep it consistent from one notebook to another so that a/mark or squiggly
line means the same thing no matter which set of notes you're studying
    If you do have access to a personal computer and reasonably clear speech
patterns, I heartily recommend the acquisition of a good speech recognition
program as I have found mine (DragonDictate NaturallySpeaking) to be an
invaluable substitute for the slow typing produced by my spastic fingers.
      Sorry for running on so long, hope some of this helps!
                        Susan