C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 08:31:54 EST
In a message dated 02/25/2000 11:26:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< What state are you in?  NM?
   In Texas (&, I think, most other states) it's illegal to carry a handgun
 concealed or otherwise!

 Bob

In Virginia, there has been a recent relaxation of the rules allowing people
to carry concealed weapons.  I don't know all about this, maybe Mike or
Trisha know more.

I am still not sure what kind of opinion to form about gun ownership in
general.  It seems to me as though people should have the right to be able to
protect their homes (I'm not referring to the Constitution -- I believe that
reference addresses the arming of militias).  On the other hand, I have heard
so much about accidental shootings, children finding parent's guns, etc.,
that I'm not sure what to think about the subject.  I am really on the fence
about this issue.  Black-market weapons -- gun running -- will always be
available, and with that, no requirements for training.  That concerns me.  I
don't mean to say that we should allow the ownership of handguns to avert an
increase in black-market trade though.  That seems like "Black-market
blackmail."

Whatever we decide about this though (as with any major decision), we should
take into account the potential ramifications 50 or 100 years down the road.

I don't know what to think.  Help me!!!

Betty, CP (Continually Perplexed)