C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:44:38 EST
In a message dated 02/04/2000 8:38:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Them's fightin' words, Betty, an' I got 13 rounds left today!

HA!  GOTCHA!  I knew I'd get a bite.  I'm one of you babe, but being as how
I'm from Alexandra, lotsa folks don't consider me part of the South.  I've
had to fight that one too.  I love Lee, I have to tell you -- I swear this on
the grave of every dead relative I have.  My favorite book is "The Wartime
Papers of Robert E. Lee."  But if I didn't love Lee, I'd be kicked right out
of my family.  The Lee coat of arms hangs in our home.

Remind me to tell you about my family's coat of arms one day.  It's just too
ridiculous to talk about now.  Trisha has one that is impressive, believe you
me.  But mine -- mine is a joke, and I'd like to get my hands around the neck
of the jerk who thunk it up.

You're right about Bull Run, but that was representative of his general
policy, wasn't it?  I recognize and acknowledge the limited resources of the
Confederacy and the other factors you mentioned, believe me.  Never has the
term "unlevel playing field" meant more!  I just think Lee made some tactical
boo boos (i.e., Gettysburg).  He would have had Stuart with him the whole
time if his orders to Stuart had not been so confusing.  But Stuart doesn't
seemed to have faired well through history with regard to his absence at
Gettysburg.  That doesn't seem fair.  Also, Lee didn't take Longstreet's
advice, and there was just too much green going against them in a noticeably
bad way (not that I'm Monday morning quarterbacking, mind you).  On the other
hand, there was the great Lee and Jackson at Chancellorsville.  That was a
play against all accepted military strategy, but it worked brilliantly.  I
sometimes wonder what would have happened if it hadn't though.  I'm just
playing around with alternate timelines.

I also wonder how the war would have progressed if Lee had accepted the Union
commission, instead of going with the tide of his beloved Commonwealth.

Also, my cat is named for Jubal Early -- that ought to tell you something
(sugah).  That came about because he was a feisty little so-and-so when I
brought him home.  He bit me in the animal shelter and did a marvelous job of
cat-cussing.  There seemed no other choice.  Now he's so gentle he doesn't
remotely resemble his namesake's personality -- but it's too late.  The name
stuck.

Sherman and his men did a terrible thing -- a terrible thing.

But, I have a special place in my heart for J. L. Chamberlain.  I hope I can
be forgiven for that -- he really seemed like a good man.

Thus ends my ranting...ain't ya glad?