C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loree Monroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:16:07 EDT

<< PS a nuero-psych test put his IQ at below 50 because he had little self
care
 skills.  I'm not buying into the IQ score per se but the thing is if we
 don't find a way to help him conquer the LD's his abilities will still make
 him incapable of independence.  His vision with glasses is fine as he picks
 up a piece of rice from the dinner table, it's just he can't remember what
 he sees.
 Joanne >>

I'm on this list because I'm still trying to figure out if my nine year old
does have mild CP and because you all are so much fun. This is a great place.

Anyway, my daughter has developmental delays that manifest as fine and gross
motor delays including delayed speech. The three year old IQ test came out at
borderline MR and the six year old IQ test came out normal. Largely because
she was able to talk at six and just wasn't able to respond verbally at
three. IQ tests to preschoolers should be banned and the psych examiners
should go find a real job (in my opinion.) All children develop so much
during those preschool years and the medical and educational community have
only in the last two decades shown any interest in this age group and the
development.

Loree in MO