C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:34:46 -0800
   Well, Trish, I do not think that private accounts
will address the problem of solvency. The lack of
private accounts did not cause that problem and will
not fix it. Private accounts will address a extream
long run problem of SS not returning enough to
actually retire on. I am talking maybe help Benjamin
and Amber. it might give them more.
   The solvency problem was caused by the funds not
being invested as they came in, but rather it was
spent. That is the solvency problem. The money is
gone. There is going to be either an increase in tax
revenues or a defiecit to cover those IOU’S. revenues
can go up by there being growth in the economy or a
heavier tax rate. Thing is these two work against each
other. Higher rates makes slower growth and maybe less
money to tax at the higher rate and thereby less
revenue.
   I think maybe the tax code change to light the fuse
under the economy should have came before SS change.
But that is another discussion. Or maybe not, you all
decide.
    Private accounts could in short run cause more of
the IOU’S to be called in quicker and have defiecits.
It would however force SS funds to be  invested
instead of spent and move away from what caused the
solvency problem helping our children.
     There has to be more than just private accounts,
there has to be more than just raising taxes or
lowering benefits.
   I am afraid there is a pill that has to be taken.
   Got to do a little more than say I am against this
and for that. The plan has to be comprehensive.

=== message truncated ===

Yahoo! Messenger