C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:19:46 EDT
Hi, yes, I could wait, however, I feel that she has missed out enough of her
childhood.  I want to see her play hopscotch (out of her wheelchair), swim
independently and than be able to stand in the pool when she's tired of
swimming.  I think about when she's a teen and someone asks her to a
sleepover and she wouldn't be able to go because she can't stand on her own
to be able to go to the bathroom independently.  BTW, the doctor has told me
that this will work 100%, no ifs and's or but's.

We were discussing it tonight at dinner, and it kills me that I have to make
this decision without her support, but I feel that as a parent, I must make
decisions that will impact her future.  She's allowed to make decisions as to
if she wants to wear her TES at night or not, and if she wants to do therapy
at home or not, but this is to important of a decision to leave up to a 7
year old.

Elaine