C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:53:11 EDT
First, I would like to thank everyone for their responses, I really
appreciate the input, and the valuable advise.

Yes, I have gotten a second opinion.  I went to my old orthopedic and told
him point blank that I went to a new surgeon because I had heard great things
about him and I wanted a different perspective.  I explained to him what was
to be done, and he told me that he's never heard it done on cp patients,
however, the procedure use to be done on post-polio patients.  He feels that
it could work, couldn't harm her, and if it does work, he wants me to bring
her back to him because he may want to learn the technique.

I have spoken to parents on another list who have gone to this Dr., and they
have nothing but wonderful things to say about him.

Also, I do realize that the things I've mentioned won't be possible (such as
hopscotch) because of the balance problems, but I do want her to be
independent as possible so she can be outside playing with friends without
her chair.  If the surgery doesn't give us the desired results, she won't be
any different, she'll still be chair bound (except for the fact she may hate
me for the rest of her life, but, if I don't do it, as a teen she may hate me
anyway, because I had a chance to help and didn't).

Our first test with using this new dr. will be on Tuesday, when Alex
undergoes the percutaneous lenghtenings.

Thanks again for the welcome

Elaine