C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:22:34 -0600
My thoughts:
1) If the "weak" (PWD, elderly) carried openly, they could literally be
providing an opponent with a gun - e.g. see me, approach me casually, push
me down & grab my gun (although there are holsters designed to prevent
another from drawing your gun unexpectedly, they do assume the user can
physically resist);
2) The deterrent effect would be greater if an assailant did not know if an
intended target was armed;
3) Displaying a gun openly might contribute to an Old West, macho
confrontation.

A previous Texas governor actually helped kill an earlier "carrying" bill
by insisting that it include a provision that the gun could not be
concealed.   The current law makes it a criminal offense to knowingly or
recklessly display the gun except when you would be justified in using it.