C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandy Goodwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:31:06 -0700
Super, James...

I teach for LA County Office of Education, and am connected with the special
ed department at Cal State/LA (plus the office for students with
disabilities there).

This is where I need YOUR input - while I may teach kids with cp, I don't
HAVE it and so I am not intimately familiar with the "nuts and bolts" issues
these kids face.  I am guessing this will be ultimately done via email,
chatrooms, etc., probably through the school settings (which will generally
eliminate elementary kids unless they have internet access) While I have
internet access in my classroom via my own computer and modem, such is not
the case for many kids.  PLUS, in order to do this thing right, some kind of
statement will need to be developed so that the school system and parents
are comfortable and supportive of what is trying to be done.

Might we be reinventing the wheel?  Does UCP or anyone else have an already
effective mentoring program (or something we can model?)  Maybe the Spina
Bifida association .... who knows?.... but if there already is a working
model that is effective, it would be worth it to learn about it and then
adapt it, or join it.

How many people on this 300+ people list are interested?  Is there a roll
call of sorts that can be done?  I define "interest" as "thinking about
it.... hmmmm", not "utterly committed".

If nothing else, we can start a pilot project with the kids *I* know - right
now we have 3 classes for kids with orthopedic impairments where I teach -
about 25 - 30 kids.  Probably at least 12 - 15 have cp.  Heck, these kids
would benefit from getting a mentor even if they didn't share the very same
disabilities!  I am sure I can find more!