C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:58:00 EST
In a message dated 2/20/2004 10:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
What are my options with mental health care for her. Would she be eligible
for medicaid or other forms of assistance. This has been an issue and I dont
think we have ever been able to explore this.
Jason,

    First, I would look into respite care to give your family a break, if
such services are available. Secondly, most states and locales have public mental
health centers. They are sometimes not staffed by the best, but your ideal
professional would be a pediatric psychiatriist with experience with
developmentally disabled children, a rare find indeed.
Also, you must know that use of SSRI's with children can be most
problemmatic. Those are what are prescribed most for Bipolar Disorder.

    My heart goes out to yoou and yours. You will be in my prayers.

Bobby