C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:07:43 -0700
Michael,

About 6 years ago, I ended up having knee surgery on my right (better) knee,
because of the stresses I'd put on it from my CP and post-stroke gait.  I
wore an AFO on my left lower leg and ankle, but apparently I still strained
my right knee when walking, and over time, it deteriorated.  The knee
problems caused difficulty with balance and falling, because it would
occasionally "lock-up."

Last fall, I was having increased headaches and neck pain, so my doc ordered
an MRI and found arthritis and degenerative disk disease in several of my
neck vertebrae.  I was 41 when I had the knee surgery, and am 47 now.

These are things I pretty much expected in my 60's but have found that they
often happen earlier to people with CP, as my wife, who also has CP is
experiencing problems with her arms, hands, and knees.