C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:18:31 -0400
Trisha,

We haven't seen a measurable decrease in traffic here yet.  Because
Interstate 70, a major US east/west artery, passes through Columbus the
number of long-haul trucks on that road is supposed to be our bellwether
for traffic flow.  A lot of trucking firms (both owner/operator and
corporate) are located here and they are really struggling from fuel
prices.  What's really killing them is that diesel, which used to be
cheaper than gasoline, is running as much as a dollar higher now.
Low-sulphur emission standards went into effect this year that created
an increase in refining cost.

Ironically, diesel fuel is chemically identical to #2 heating oil, which
is markedly less expensive.  Bad things can happen to folks, though,
that choose to skirt the taxes and fees that are the difference between
the two.

Locally, we've seen as much as a 40% jump in food prices as compared
with this time last year.  Cereal grains (e.g., wheat, corn) and cooking
oils have been the biggest drivers of price hikes.  A couple years ago
corn was running $2.50 or so per bushel.  Now it's around $7.00--who
knows what futures prices will be with the impact of the Midwest
flooding?  If you're not a commodities trader this could shape up to be
a cold, hungry winter.

Kyle