C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:02:00 -0600
Dan,

I'd first contact The Equal Employment Opportunity coordinator at your
University (some schools have a separate 504 coordinator, but the EEO
coordinator would be a great place to start), and then contact the
Office of Civil Rights in the US Department of Education.  Do you attend
a private or public university?  If it's a public university, the OCR
will be **_very_** interested in this.

When I was in school, the Regional Representative for OCR was on campus
talking to our disabled student's group about what the office was all
about, and I mentioned to her in passing that there were some problems
with wheelchair access in a couple of places.  Within a month the OCR
did a full review of the University's access plan, and had architects
and engineers check out everything that had already been done.

I also don't know what state you live in but you can also contact the
Protection and Advocacy organization in your state.  The national
organization's website is www.napas.org and they have a directory that
should have a link to your state site.

Since you have CP, the counterpart to WIND (who I work for) in your
state, would probably be interested as well.  The website for the
national association for that one is www.aucd.org and they also have a
directory to the state programs.

If your present attorney is unsure of the law in the case, have him/her
check out section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, especially if
it's a public University, and the ADA if it's private.

If you happen to be in the Atlanta area, I could get you in touch with
the regional representative for OCR.  He was my Vocational
Rehabilitation counselor when I was in college.

Are you working with Voc. Rehab.?  If so, your VR counselor might be
able to apply a little pressure that way.

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities -WIND
PO Box 4298
Laramie, WY 82071
(307) 766-2853