BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

B-P on ICORS: The Orange Blaze/Texas Funeral Home Commission
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:33:05 EST

The earth is warm to  day; I can feel it in my bones
As I have  the  front door open of our cottage and let the soft spring  like
air
Breeze  through along the long leaf heart  pine walls and  floor
to sweep out the cobwebs of  winter.
My old Airedale, who  is blind,
Pricks  her nose up to the breeze from our porch
And drinks it in like  it was an elixir.
We head for the pond  together, and amble down the
Grass laden path like  peas and ham
Like a guide stick she  taps her head off my leg step
And heads off like a  brail master
Letting the smells and  sounds of her old haunt
Guide her through the  bee- loud glade.
The sun dazzles its  brilliance off the water and blinds us,
Inviting  us into its distant marshy environs like  some radiant and holy
crystal
Only nature  spirits see
A chorus of  birds serenade the  air, fish feed the surface ;
I disturb a dragon fly  as we free the canoe from its winter sleep
And glide its sleek silver body across  the rippled water  with my age  old
pup-riding  helm;
We  take out  off across the open  water, surprise a flock  of ducks ,then
portage
the  inlet  searching its  grassy  delta  for signs of  spring.
For  size  our  pond is  not that big, about 3 acres in all, but  it allows
you to
navigate bass beds  made of reed and stick and to get up close the footprints

of our animal friends  whose nocturnal haunts appear to be many . .
There are the deer of  course, big and small and there are a variety of
beaver
Otter, Possum  and Raccoon tracks to all  make  sense of.
Everyone  seems  to make it to the waters edge
Then veer off into a maze of tiny  crossroads that trample the grass and
meander into the pine and sycamore  forest.to our back and sides   ..
We are in the month of  Pieces now  with a full sun Aries fastly approaching

This week a  quarter moon passes the  night in the shape of an upturned  horn
and by its weak and feeble light ,we  can imagine  the many animals that
come and go to this secluded spot
We can see what they  eat has changed over  from
Winter rye grass  to one of  new green shoots of  horsetail,
Bamboo, berries  and the aquatic salads of water lily and iris.
Oh ...The yard needs  raking I know, and the beds need to be cleaned out
This I haven't  forgotten.... but. I've got other plans.
Big plans, Great  plans, Plans that baffle the ordinary mind,
Plans that let go for just one day the  busyness of life's cycle
of cell phone and  schedule
Plans that compliment  the imagination and give comfort to  the soul
Plans that let the  mind wonder and see the universe as it really is
As the porch radio  plays some Mozart for  the  Viola
I dig the  warm black wet earth of my compost pile
And watch  the worms curl and wiggle in the sun of my spade
. One by one I  introduce them to an old soup can in my wicker creel,
Then close the hatch  along with a sandwich and a thermos of Cha (green tea)

And step back into the  daffodil strewn path and  backtrack  to  the  pond ;
Stretching out  my winter legs with a pole over my shoulder
and some verse  crumpled in a beat up paperback stuffed in my back pocket  .
My quest is  simple; a rhrendevous with my favorite tree,
contemplate the still water,
cast a line ,
and let the March sun  warm my face
Then if the Gods  of Spring smile,