BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:55:58 EST
Walked the upper east side with Sidney Horenstein today, the rock guy from
the Museum of Natural History.

A period news account says that the old Otto Kahn mansion (now the Convent
of the Sacred Heart) at 91st and Fifth was made of "limestone imported from
France."   And indeed it looks to me like what I have always thought  of as
"French limestone" - that softer-looking stuff, with lots of occlusions  and "bad"
weathering, with lots of holes where the snails fell out.

Upon inspection, Sidney said that he noticed that there were many Trigonian
fossils, and that he suspected it was actually Texas limestone - Trigoniidae
are  only found, in fossil form,  in Texas.

How many of you would feel confident about identifying "French" vs. "Texas"
limestone?  Christopher
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)