BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:47:14 -0400
Chris:

My Means Illustrated Construction Dictionary says a "well, wellhole [note it
is shown as one word] (1) Any enclosed space of considerable height, such as
an air shaft or the space around which a stair winds [stairwells above a
ceertain height now have to be closed in for safety and fire reasons]. (2) A
collection device for ground water. (3) A wall around a tree trunk to hold
back soil. (4) A slot in a machine or device into which a part fits."

None of these seems to be very good as an item, the lack of which, is worth
calling out as a major selling point for a building though the idea of a
well or cistern in the basement might be if it could be seen as a health
hazard (hence it following the "all light, southerly exposure to sun and
air" which I presume is mentioned for its health benefits).

Is this about the time of the TB concerns?

Signed, don't know much about history...