BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:23:49 -0200
Dan,

>They overload the pick-up and trailer capacity at the yard waste center with these gigantic 6 cubic yard front end loader buckets...easy for them, harder for me. Buy stock in Advil.

Been there, done that, replaced leaf springs accordingly. I imagine a
whole lot of fossil energy goes into dumping all that stuff so quickly.
A lot more nerve racking when it is rocks.

>>So, I would not myself focus with your students so much on the potential incorrectness of the rick burn as much as to explore how one  can better go about exploring, revealing, rediscovery and reverse engineering of  traditional trade skill practices.
>>

>Isn't this really how these processes were developed post-Cro Magnon? Trial and error, do something, see how it holds up over 10-20 years, talk about it, try something else, wait 10-20 years, talk some more, try again with your progeny, show them how to do it and to watch it for 10-20 years, die with a smile on your face that they're carrying it forward.

I would say yes but that there has been a disassociation and devaluation
of the relationship of the human body to the building process. (Just
like the Iraqi vet on Booknotes this weekend talking about how we don't
know where hamburger comes from, or the physical price of war on the
production of maimed bodies.) Ilene's description re: Jimmy Price of a
functional rick burn makes good sense to me. The one Brian witnessed
sounds disconnected from the idea that when you only have a body to work
with that you don't waste it, even if, as Pyrate expresses it may have
been slave labor.

If the trial and error has occured and the body of knowledge exists
within the human community then it does not make too much sense to me to
ignore it as I kinda get is the case w/ Brian's NPS lime burner. My
advice is the guy should get out more often.

I used to load bull manure into and out of my truck with a shovel. For
me the process provides a fundamental point of perspective on everything
else that happens.

][<en