BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:42:35 -0200
Brian,

Two more thoughts:

I heard recently re: Lake Pnchatrain that it is salted water and mortars
being made of the sand therefrom. So my question is if in traditional
work there was knowledge of or consideration of effect of salts on
mortar. When did the materials science come along to understand salt in
sand in mortar? Are there climatic/environmental factors that would make
a salt in mortar in New Orleans behave in masonry different than say in
New York.

I'm reminded of the fort in Hudson's Bay that is falling apart because
partly after 200+ years it is melting now w/ gobal warming... having
been sort of frozen together in the mean time.

Fresh oysters may have their own water content and will burst in a fire
just like w/ wet rocks? I suppose they might have been shell shocked?

][<en