BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:08:46 EDT
I am reviewing drawings by Others for site work on a local National  Register
site, in my capacity as Histo Presto  Chairindividual.

The architect is calling for installation of exterior posts and  handrails,
to be fabricated (respectively) from 1" square "wrought  steel" (apparently
solid, but no so noted) posts and  1.5 x .75"  "wrought steel" bar stock and set
in "shrink-proof" grout in galv  sleeves.  It is my impression, based on
seeing lots of old ironwork in good  condition and lots of rusting steel railings
and posts, that iron is much more  durable than steel for this sort of
application, and that the galv sleeves  will go to hell too.  Is there any reason the
contractor won't be able to  get real iron?

WWF (and not epoxy-coated WWF) -reinforced concrete walkways are called for
in lieu of the existing asphalt pavement.  Seems to me that due to contrast
and light color, the concrete will be more obtrusive, and unless properly
constructed and maintained, will cause more maintenance problems than the
existing asphalt.

A small handicap ramp is to be built with its T&G ipe deck  anchored to
preservative-treated 2x6 framing; the framing sits on  edge on a concrete deck.
Seems to me that T&G is asking for  trouble and instead the deck planking
should be spaced to allow drainage, that  the preservative treated framing will be
less durable than the ipe, and that  whatever the framing is, it needs to be
notched or sit on some sort of spacers  to allow for drainage.

Anybody got any thoughts, pro or con, that will help this  project?

Thanks.

Ralph