BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
adaptive re-use is from the department of repetitive redundancy division <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 10:38:48 -0500
Relative to NY, the state OSHA checks house rigs periodically (maybe yearly). We had a facade inspection job 2 years ago that had scaffold probs, the maintenance guys insisted the rig had been repaired and safe. We asked for the required state inspection and the owner asked why? Their maintenance guys assured it was safe! We held our ground until the state inspected - the scaffold failed. Not once but twice!!! A year and a half later the state approved it along with the new suspension cables and we did our work - albeit cautiously and with eyes wide open. No incident and now the owner is very much on OUR side these days!

The problem with house rigs is some run on tracks which need to have special anchors clipped on when you take them "over the edge". If you forget to clip in your sunk! Also, normal height work requires you to be on a lifeline within 6 feet of the roof edge but getting on and off the house rigs forces you to be closer than that.

All very poorly thought out!

Thanks,

Eric Hammarberg
Vice President
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10010
T 917.661.7800  F 917.661.7801
D 917.661.8160

This message sent from Treo, please pardon spelling and other mistakes.