BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:51:48 +1100
Dear All

We are currently involved in an exercise involving relocation of a
historic statue (human figure) onto a new plinth, and some debate has
emerged regarding the appropriate dimensions for this plinth (it was
removed from the original plinth many years ago, and there is no record
of the dimensions of that plinth).

We have attempted to research traditional design principles for statue
plinths ... and have not been able to turn up any resources to date.  We
are intrigued by this, because it would seem to us that there would
likely have been some generally accepted 'rules' for designing statue
plinths.

This is an enquiry to see if anybody knows of published design
principles (probably 18th or 19th Century) for statue plinths - in
particular, we are interested in issues relating to proportional
dimensions (plinth dimensions vs statue dimensions).

I look forward to hearing from you all!!

David West

Executive Director

internationalconservationservices

53 Victoria Avenue

Chatswood   NSW   2067

Australia

T:     +61 (2) 9417 3311

F:     +61 (2) 9417 3102

M:    +61 (411) 692 696

E:     [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

W:    www.icssydney.com <http://www.icssydney.com/>

sustaining your heritage