BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 17:16:22 -0400
Brian wrote:

>It is all very frightening to me and leads me to think that our current
national educational path leads straight into the wilderness.<

Today in a Business Week report I found:

The world's oldest continuously operating family business ended its
impressive run last year. Japanese temple builder Kongo Gumi, in operation
under the founders' descendants since 578, succumbed to excess debt and an
unfavorable business climate in 2006.

How do you make a family business last for 14 centuries?

Sadly enough even the tradition of dismantling and restoring temples every
century in order to keep alive the knowledge of how the temple building
trade works cannot save this tradition at a level that can support the
oldest family owned business in the world.

Indeed, we have skewed the goals of what we call education to the point
where it is the educational system itself that we seem to be working to keep
alive, rather than the knowledge that we once meant to nurture.

Let us forge our artillery shells and Humvies into axes and chisels and
hammers and attack the forests and the earth upon which they grow!

Oops, too late for that isn't it...

Rudy