BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:18:22 -0400
> Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete (GFRC) is correct.
>
> Above the entry, right above the door, to the Barnes & Noble at
Union Square
> the full width of the stone water table with dentals is GFRC made to
> replicate the existing stone on the building. The units are held in
place
> with stainless steel anchors and the joints are caulked with a
urethane
> sealant. I have a section of same sitting in my back yard getting
weathered.
> GFRC in my experience has better color retention than figerglass,
and can be
> made to look very much like the stone it is often fabricated to
mimic. It is
> molded, faster to fabricate and cheaper than carved stone as well as
lighter
> in weight, reducing transportation and installation time and cost.
The shell,
> as I remember it, is +/- 1/2" thickness.
>
> ][<en
>
> --

I have seen it used as a terra cotta substitute. On one project,
completed in 1997 in PA, some of the building was done in GFRC, some
is patched and coated terra cotta and some is original terra cotta.
The patched and coated TC looks a lot more like the original now,
after a few years, than the GFRC.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President