BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brian Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Listserv that makes holes in Manhattan schist for free! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:54:41 -0400
The third system forts did a great job in my book. We learned a hard lesson during 1812. After the incorporation of the third system how many foreign invasions did we have? Zilch. In addition, these forts were not meant to be impervious. They were only to hold out until the cavalry could arrive, about 2 weeks estimated time. Sometimes a strong defence seems the best way to keep the peace. It is how Alabama and Bear Bryant won so many football championships. Punishing defence.

Even after advances in technology dropped the curtain on the third system at Fort Pulaski, we relied on these forts and related improvements to protect the coast up until the Spanish American war.