From:
Terri Pannett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:34:13 -0800
I practice on the slate occasionally, but I've never felt as comfortable
with it as I do with the brailler.  I practice the slate while I'm watching
TV so I won't fall asleep.  I can bang out 40 words a minute onn a brailler.
I'm always surprised when I see a brailler for sale.  They, too, can be used
when the power is out.  I've used them for net controlling, too.  I think a
slate would be extremely slow and inconvenient, especially if you are
running a net where you must take down the check-ins and ackknowledge them
without a roll call.

I used to listen and check into a swap net on 2 meters and I could hear the
ncs banging away on a brailler.  I just don't see how a slate user could
keep up with a swap net without cheating and using a tape recorder as
backup.  (grin).

Terri, Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA.  Army MARS call sign AAT9PX,
California