From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 02:54:32 -0600
a little confused here Gery:
What does your friend want to do? be able to check antennas without having
to get in the cars?
Or have a remote swr meter that can check swr without having to hook up
inside the vehicle?
There are antenna analyzers that you can hook up to an antenna without using
a radio and match impedance off site and then install them as you go.  There
are also some types of meters that can take field strength readings and you
can adjust the antenna length acordingly to get maximum field strength.
Hopefully they have decided to use good quality antennas and not the run of
the mill small discrete whip and small bass load style which have no gain
and very poor range.
To make CB work for mobile to mobile communications efficiently, you need at
least a quarter wave antenna, or something close like the K40's or wilson
1000 style.
And those antennas need to be smack dab in the middle of the vehicles roof,
or near enough to get a sufficient ground plane.

The fender/trunk does work, but then you are looking at directionality and
loss of signal when the vehicle turns away from who ever he's talking to.

Not the route i would go unless there was absolutely no other alternative.

They might be thinking that more people have CB radios and there fore they
can tap into local public needs or be more in touch with the public, but its
a false premise, not enough people use CB anymore for that to work the way
they might want...
73
Colin, V A6BKX