From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:23:20 -0500
	The actual protocol is open so I am not so sure it will
die completely.

also, many thanks to CHRISTOPHER SCHULTE <[log in to unmask]>
for answering my question. I asked about DSTAR at one of our
larger area ham fests a year or so ago and the Icom vendor said
he had only one DSTAR talkie with him and that was all. I found
it kind of amusing that he didn't have at least 2 so people
could see and here it. I think it is something like 128 kilobits
per second data on VHF and above and there may even be a
slow-speed data channel that is still available if one is using
the rest of the channel for DSTAR voice. In other words, I think
there may be multiplex capabilities but I may be wrong.