From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 17:17:20 -0500
The problem with the Icom 718 and 706 radios both of which I have had, is
the mic gain and power settings are in the menus and not controls on the
front panel, so if you're like me and use 1 power setting for local rag chew
and 1 for DX,  you won't like them, if you just crank it and leave it on the
power and set the mic gain once and that's it,  they are very good radios,
very accessible and honestly, the 718 has a very good receiver and sounds
great both ways! I don't like the receive sound on the 706 much, but the 718
is a good little radio for what it is and then some, if it wasn't for that
power and mic gain being in the menu, I'd still have 1 or both of them.