From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:37:04 -0500
I worked N4QS on back scatter; a rather weak signal both ways.

Working some phone and some CW, in 5.5 hours I ended up with 298 QSOs and
128 multipliers, for a score of 118,368.  I missed many of the midwestern
and southern states, but made up for it by working a lot of DX and some
Mexican states.  Most of my QSOs were S&P, probably less than 10% were a
result of CQ's.  Ran the amplifier most of the time, about 400 watts out,
and no spotting or reverse beacon assistance.

Congratulations to Steve, KW3A, for cranking out that much CW and taking
whoever answered his CQ's.  I assume he worked people like WX3B, NY3A, NR4M,
K4V, N3QE, N8II and others down this direction.

I think conditions were about the best this contest has seen in 11 years,
which is why I wanted to put at least a little time into it.  I should have
read the rules more carefully; didn't realize that multipliers counted once
on CW and again on SSB, and that you could work stations on both modes if
you found them.  Some years you are lucky to work anything beyond ground
wave, or you have a couple of hours of sporadic-E to one group of states.
Solar flux was around 155 to 160, and K index ranged between 2 and 4, so not
the best possible conditions.  But certainly good conditions, anyway.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com