From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:21:40 -0700
lol.

Firstly though, let me say this.
If something did indeed happen that blew out all our power, and fried most
of our electronics, we most definitely wouldn't be sent back to the "dark
ages" though, perhaps if your definition of the dark ages is no light made
via power or man made, then yes, they would be dark.
But just think for a minute.
We've only really had power, as a consumer product for what, maybe 130
years?  perhaps a bit longer in some places, but much of north america
didn't have readily availible power to homes and businesses until the early
20th century.
I know NYC and other major urban places had some DC service before that, but
again, pretty primative and basic stuff.
So, do you consider the 19th, and into the early 20th century to still be
part of the dark ages?
And even if everything did get fried, do you really think big business would
allow it to last for long?  if there was money to be made, scientists and
technicians would be working day and night to restore power or at least
restore something to get us all back to using electricity and using and
buying our much needed electronic devices.
There's no doom and gloom here.  Even if something like this occured, which
is doubtful, it would effect us, that is, humanity, for a very brief time.
Yes, this brief time might see some kay os and the "darker" ahem, side of
humanity might come to the fore...but, it most definitely wouldn't be like
we were suddenly transported back into the 18th or 19th century.  We have
all this knowledge, and understanding of how things work and how they
function with use of electricity.  That wasn't availible to the world 200
years ago as it is now.

It may not be something we particularly wish to occur, but if it did, it
wouldn't be nearly as horrible as some pundants would like to convince us it
would.

Why would we need to try and hook ham radios up to AM transmitter antennas?
perhaps the AM transmitters would be blown out, but wouldn't most
electronics be disfunctional at that point?
These broadcast industry techs know how to rebuild and build from scratch
transmitters from parts...even if they had to reconstruct a tube type
transmitter, you can be sure they would be doing that with all haste.
Civilians would be able to use battery powered receivers...many of which
abound in the typical household.
Battery companies would be doing all in their power to manufacture batteries
to be sold for this purpose and other purposes.
We would see a massive uprise of wind, solar and hydro powered electrical
grids...so perhaps, an event like this is a posative thing for the green
power industry.
As I said, Kay os would rain rampant for a time while people got used to the
idea that they couldn't just jump in their car and go somewhere depending on
controlled lights and so on.  Others would see it as an opportunity to steal
and cause mayhem for others...but again, after the first, say week, or maybe
even 2 weeks, things would quickly return to some semblence of order.
We're humans, we're smart and intelligent and all those great things...we
wouldn't all just fall down and die because we no longer have electricity.
Look at the Roman empire...or the byzantine empire.  It flurrished and gave
us all sorts of technologies 10 centuries before electricity was even a
harnessable concept to science.
We have the ability now to build communications equipment out of the most
basic components.  We can use natural things such as methane and our
environment to create electricity.  We can then use that electricity in
combination with conductive, and non-conductive materials to create
something that will send electrical impulses over long distances.  So, our
world wide communications would not be hampered for long.
Unless this solar storm that is supposed to knock everything out lasts a
super long time and prevents us from using RF to communicate around the
world.
Not only that, the world is wired with copper.  we literally have wiring
that connects every country together...that wouldn't be effected by a solar
storm...at least not the entire network.  So we've already got the existing
infrastructure.

73
Colin, V A6BKX