From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:59:05 -0600
Years ago, back in the early 1980s, a friend of mine, K4LTA, Bill from Oak
Ridge Tennessee, introduced me to a buddy of his.  By the way, I haven't run
across K4LTA for a long time so I'm wondering if anybody has heard him on
the air.  Bill was a contester in nearly every contest he could find.  He
went to the Caribbean once or twice a year, often with his wife and local DX
club members including his own brother, and they would operate from many of
the islands during their two week stay.  They often , during those two
weeks, went to other islands to operate and I worked Bill from many of those
places over the years.  Bill is blind and runs all Ten Tec gear except for
his amp, or that used to be the case.  They also went during contest
weekends as a club and operated.  His friend was, I think this was Claude's
call, W4EX and Claude was not only a big DX guy but he loved 160 meter DX as
well.  That's not what impressed me with Claude.  At age 80, Claude climbed
his guide 120 Rohn 45G tower.  His 15 year old grandson stayed on the
ground; a couple of ropes in his hands.  Together, they put up a 5 element
20 meter beam.  I have not been able to climb my tower for about 15 years
and here was an 80 year old man, putting up his own beam with his grandson
helping by doing the ground work.  Now that's impressive.

Phil.
K0NX