From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:09:17 -0600
        I also use the Weller guns for moderate to heavy stuff and a
Wahl battery-powered gun for the smallest work.  One will need to get
the smallest tip  they sell for that little gun for best results.

        I have also used continuous heat irons, but, like everyone
else says, you need to know precisely where you are going with one of
those or your nose will soon tell you you have strayed.

        As for stripping coax, there is another method someone told me
about that actually works.

        What you do is to get some monofilliment fishing line and wrap
one loop around the coax so that your left hand holds some of the
line, the loop is tight around the coax, and your right hand holds
more of the fishing line.

        It is as if you were choking the coax.  Now, the trick is to
saw back and forth, causing the loop to slip tightly over the coax.

        The idea is to gently cut the jacket all the way around.

        When you have a nice nick in the jacket, you can pull it off
and there won't be one cut strand in the brade.

        This does require patience and practice, but I was amazed how
well it works.