From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:13:31 -0600
Steve Forst writes:
>Anyone using the butane powered irons?

        I have one and it has pros and cons.  It is like any
continuously-hot soldering iron in that one must be very careful with
it once it is lit.  Not only is the tip hot as one would expect, but
there is a little flame burning in the base of the tip where the
screen is.

        It is just like using a plug-in electric iron except you can
hear the hiss of the gas when it is on.  Too bad they don't heat and
cool instantly or they would be a competitor to the battery-powered
guns.

        As it is, it is kind of like a cross between using the
electric guns and a plug-in iron that stays hot until you are ready to
stop working.

        I will always be on the lookout for soldering guns with the
tiniest tip I can find that heat up as fast as possible.  So far, the
battery guns made by Wahl are the best.  Of course, that is just my
two cents worth.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group