From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:05:08 -0400
To whom it may concern: This is a pretty long one,  if the subject
doesn't  interest you, delete now or forever hold your peace.

Hi Doug,

Here are some more odds and ends for what ever it's worth:

Probably a good idea to try and get MMTTY running stand alone, just to
get  any quirks in N1MM out of the equation.

You might want to look in  the "set up mmtty" menu under the "tx" tab
and set port to "none".    You are using the 590's data vox to key the
radio, not a comm port.  In fact, you really don't even need the virtual
comm port driver  installed just to use the sound  device function of
the radio.  The computer will recognize the sound device  with just the
usb cable connected, but the only way to  get rig control is by
installing the virtual comm driver.

Selecting  the sound card in MMTTY 1.68 is more of a pain than in
previous  versions, but if you use jaws, the jaws cursor can help.

If you still have problems, go to the "misc" tab instead of the
"soundcard" tab.  Tab down about 16 times and you will be in  the
area"device identifiers".   There is one for RX and one for TX, each
with a single digit number.  You can use arrow keys to change the
number.   -1 is the pc's onboard sound card, 0 is the next added sound
device,  and numbers 1 and following are aditional sound devices in the
system.   You might be able to see what is selected  by looking in the
"soundcard" tab, and make the change under the "misc" tab, if need be.

On a different note:  Something  about the Kenwood's(at least the 2000
and 590 - maybe others) is that if ptt is asserted on a comm port,  the
front panel mic jack is  used, and not any external audio.  There is a
setting in the Writelog software I use  for "disable comm ptt".  If I
don't have this set right, I can't get any audio into the radio for
transmit - either from the usb port, or acc2 jack.

While I don't do AFSK keying, I do use the Kenwood sound device for
canned voice, like CQ's and such.   If the disable comm ptt isn't set
right, I get no transmit audio out.   This may have no bearing on your
thing, but worth keeping in mind.

I'm also using a usb to serial 4 port box and control 3 rigs via their
serial ports (including the 590).  My usb connection to the 590 is for
audio only, although I do have the virtual comm driver installed.   I
don't know for sure if the comm ptt thing mentioned above is a factor
when using the virtual comm portfor rig control, but I think it might.

Lastly, you may want to be sure you can receive, decode, and have your
screen reader  give you  a good read out before you gove nuts over the
TX side.  If you can't receive, no sense going nuts over the TX.

73, Steve KW3A