From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2015 14:57:40 -0400
Mike,

I'm sure there may be variations in how different software packages do
things, but in general, the  software is always polling the radio and
updating band/frequency/mode information.   This is done even without a
call in the entry field.

  I'm not aware  of any logger that  captures actual s-meter reading to
insert into the log.    It is usually set at a default of either 59 or
599, depending on mode.   This setting can be edited, or the default can
be changed to some other value.    If you are looking at determining
actual s-meter reading remotely, this won't be the way to do it.   You
would need software that  is a real control program.

73, Steve KW3A