From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2015 17:48:22 -0400
Maybe just a dirty volume control?  Try a call or e-mail to Cliff at
Avid in Texas.   He is a well reviewed Kenwood repair tech, and is known
to give  answers to questions that may  keep you from having to send it in.

On his list of radios not repairable, the 440 is only listed as not
repairable for the dots problem on the display, other problems  may be
fixable depending on parts.

http://www.avvid.com/

73, Steve KW3A