From:
COLLEEN ROTH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 12:58:28 -0400
Hi Tom,
I agree with you. Blind people are a cross-section of society.
I am blessed with the ability to lead braille very well and to be able to proclaim the Readings at Sunday Mass or other times when needed.
However I sing like a Cat in Heat and am Directionally Dyslexic.
We all have different skills and personalities.
We need to remember that it is best to be Interdependent.
Indrpendence can be overvalued. It's not necessary how you get something done, but that you are able to get it done.
I think the speech by Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, "The Nature of Independence," sums it up very well.
For example, I might have to ask someone to take me to an appointment but I might be able to do something for them.
Years ago I provided care for someone's daughter who had special needs. She was able to take me to some things at own daughters' School in return.
If we do not feel that we are doing as well as we would like in an area such as getting mail read we need to think about possible alternatives. There may or may not be any such alternatives.
Thank God that all blind people are not the same. We are different just as sighted people are.
Colleen Roth