BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John A Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:36:21 -0800
This is not a discussion topic for this list, and the moderator should
chastise anybody who starts flooding the list with opinions.  I will
be happy to have private discussions with anybody who wants to write.

In order to reduce the potential for such off-topic opinion traffic, I
will repeat the following clarification that has been posted on other
lists:

I need to set the record straight a bit, since press coverage is
seldom completely accurate.

1. I never asked for any special consideration because I am blind.  I
did point out to the Department of education that mindless enforcement
of technicalities can result in unintentional but very real discrimination.

2. I did ask that my proposal be considered on its merits.

 3. I did not go to the press.  Senator Ron Wyden, a strongly
 pro-education senator, released a public letter of complaint only
 after he became infuriated by the Department's refusal to act
 reasonably.  The Associated Press called me, and I told them what
 happened.

I did nothing wrong and have no apologies to make.

John A. Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
tel: (541) 737 3278