AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:18:36 -0600
I just visited the ALA Office for Diversity Website mentioned in the
message below that Audrey had forwarded to this forum about a month ago.
Unfortunately, I could not find any evidence that, on this site,
diversity is conceptualized in terms other than ethnicity, race,
nationality or culture. I have no reason to assume that the absence of
references to people with disabilities (and other groups) happened by
design. Let us help the Office for Diversity to put disability on its
map
-by informing its staff about public programs, events, conferences,
special exhibitions, etc. that involve pertinent disability-related
library issues.
-by nominating ALA members promoting disability-related diversity issues
in the field of librarianship for the site's "member spotlight."
-by suggesting articles dealing with disability-related issues in
libraries.

The Office for Diversity's main homepage is at
http://www.ala.org/diversity/. Send program and event announcements,
nominations and article suggestions to the following address:

Greetings,

Axel Schmetzke
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point