AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Boyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:34:42 -0400
Regarding Steve Noble's comments:

"First of all, colleges and universities in states which have adopted
Section 508 as a state standard by passing state laws or issuing state
policies to that effect certainly are already bound by Section 508.
However, the Department of Education has taken the position that all states
are bound to follow Section 508 Access Standards by virtue of a prior signed
assurance to that effect required to receive funding under the Assistive
Technology Act.  One of the best examples of the USDE's rationale for the
application of section 508 to the states can be found at:
http://www.resna.org/taproject/policy/initiatives/nidrrassur.html"

I want to thank Steve for the nice kudos for our website-the RESNA Technical
Assistance Project.

In addition, those on this list may want to check out one of our many other
pages on our Section 508 area that focuses on what the Assistive Technology
Act projects are doing to implement Section 508-type of policies and
activities at their states and territories at:
http://www.resna.org/taproject/policy/initiatives/508.html#ata

Also, I wrote an article for Library Hi-Tech News last June (2000) which
outlines what public libraries may need to know about Section 508 at:
http://www.resna.org/taproject/policy/initiatives/508/boyer.html.

In general, we have a pretty comprehensive 508 page.

Carol Boyer
Project Associate
RESNA Technical Assistance Project
1700 N. Moore Street, Suite 1540