AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Knoer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 11:54:41 -0400
While I can't speak for all of Ekstrom (I don't get out much..), Special
Collections is functionally a separate unit, since our materials don't
circulate and aren't available elsewhere in the system and many aren't
cataloged.
  The answer is basically no- while staff is available during our open
hours, the quality of service they offer depends on who is staffing the
desk that day.  While we're generally agreeable to  delivering things to
Special Services, the nature of rare books and negatives makes it moot
in many cases.  We're physically acessible, but content access for
things that can't be scanned is minimal.
 This isn't a high priority for special collections anywhere in this
country, since archival factors are the highest priority.
  An internal note: since our new pcs came without any adaptive aids,
can you recommend a freeware screen enlarger, or any other software we
can put on public terminals?

<<< <[log in to unmask]>  7/ 3  4:12p >>>
I am trying to get a sampling of current trends among libraries for the
provision of accessible texts to library users who have print
disabilities.
I am particularly interested in getting feedback from academic
libraries, but
information from any library would be useful.

Here are my questions:
1. Do you provide special services on demand at all times your library
is open,
or only during certain posted times?

2. Do you have OCR electronic reading packages such as Reading Edge or
Telesensory Domino portable readers for patron use?

3. Do you provide a braille embosser for patron use on demand?

4. Do your staff ever assist patrons in finding accessible texts through
the
use of the NLS, APH, or RFBD online catalogs on the Web?

5. Are your OPAC terminals equipped with text enlargement or screen
readers?

6. Do any of you use microfilm OCR technology such as recently released
by
Xerox?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions.  The feedback will
help me
get a good sampling of access provisions currently in use.  And of
course,
the more replies I get the better the sampling, non-scientific though it
may
be.

Thanks for your help,
Steve Noble, Technical Consultant
Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic
Member, Project EASI Equal Access to Software and Information
Co-Moderator AXSLIB-L Access to Libraries Listserv
Contributing Editor, ITD Information Technology and Disabilities
Vice-Chair, Kentucky Assistive Technology Service Network Advisory Board