AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:36:39 -0700
I am forwarding this press release that I picked up in another list.  I
think this is great news and probably very important.
Norm

> [...]
>students.
>

>“We believe the Look-Up Service is a step in the right direction.  Active
>participation by publishers and DSS professionals will make this beta
>launch a success, enabling us to enhance and improve the Look-Up Service
>with publisher-supplied data and user feedback.  Our ultimate goal is to
>have completely accurate, up-to-date information on the site for the
>spring 2007 semester,” McCoyd said.
>

>Publishers­AAP members and non-members­are encouraged to secure a login
>from AAP that enables them to directly upload, edit, and update company
>information on the site.  To request a login, write
>

>About AAP’s Alternative Formats Solutions Initiative (AFSI)
>
>The Alternative Formats Solutions Initiative is a publisher-funded
>research project that involves colleges and universities, students,
>disabled students support services professionals, national and state
>disability advocacy groups, and technology providers in an effort to
>create a national framework of specific, practical solutions.  The AAP-led
>program, which began in March 2006, is assessing problems faced by
>print-disabled students, including delays in getting their materials or
>the inability to receive the proper materials at all.
>

>AAP members were active participants in a federal solution for students in
>grades K-12, supporting the development and passage of the Individuals
>with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA) of 2004. Building on
>that collaborative effort, the Association and its higher education
>publishers initiated their post-secondary efforts in April 2005 at a
>meeting of stakeholders in Washington, D.C.  In December 2005, AAP hosted
>a meeting held by the Association on Higher Education And Disability
>(AHEAD) with publishers, college and university personnel, and other
>advocacy groups to gather input on how to move the process forward.  At
>this meeting, AHEAD’s E-text Solutions Group identified the Look-Up
>Service as a priority.
>

>About the Association of American Publishers
>

>The Association of American Publishers is the national trade association
>of the U.S. book publishing industry.  AAP’s more than 300 members include
>most of the major commercial book publishers in the United States, as well
>as smaller and non-profit publishers, university presses and scholarly
>societies.  AAP members publish hardcover and paperback books in every
>field, educational materials for the elementary, secondary, postsecondary,
>and professional markets, scholarly journals, computer software, and
>electronic products and services.
>

>If you or someone you know cannot fully access the information on this
>page, please contact Ed McCoyd at
><mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] and request a
>version of this release be provided in a preferred alternate format. Every
>effort will be made to accommodate your preference.

- - - - - - - -
EASI Courses New and Revised:
September: Barrier-free Information Technology:
http://easi.cc/workshops/adaptit.htm

4-part live Web conference series on Accessible Podcasting starting
September 12 http://easi.cc/clinic.htm

Norman Coombs, Ph.D.
CEO EASI http://easi.cc
Phone (949) 855-4852 ** Pacific time!!

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<