AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mathew jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:23:25 -0700
Jammeh has good reason for wanting to prolong his rule. He is running away from the inevitable day of reckoning when he will face the full force of the LAW for all the atrocities committed under his watch. The Gambian people would want to know his role in them. Evidently, such aggregious acts could not possibly have happened without him sanctioning them. Since he came to power, people have died, while others have simply vanished, and still unaccounted for. In 1996, twelve students were gunned down during a massive student demonstration in Banjul.These are very serious crimes, and someone or some people have got to answer for them.
We will not forgive, and we will not forget.

To celebrate himself, Jammeh invited seven West African Heads of States to a series of lavish dinners, while outside Banjul hungry children forrage for food in dumpsites everyday. But, the fact that these Heads of States accepted to come and be a part of it, is in itself criminal.

Abu-Hassan Koroma <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

SABC
Gambian leader says he will not step down

August 01, 2004, 17:17

Yahya Jammeh, the president of the Gambia, says he will not step
down after his second term in office ends.

Jammeh was speaking during his country's recent celebrations of the
July 22 Revolution - the day on which he overthrew the government
of Dawda Jawara in a coup in 1994 and banned all political
activity.

If he does not step down after his current term in office, Jammeh
will be defying the African Union Constitutive Act, of which he is
a signatory. The Gambian leader says the issue of the second term
is not an African ideology, but is imposed on African leaders.
"Until such time that the people of Gambia say goodbye, I will be
here as long as the sky is up," he said.

In 1996 the Gambia returned to civilian rule and Jammeh says
Gambians have been living a better life since he started ruling.
However with elections expected in 2006, people have conflicting
views on the conditions in the country in the last 10 years.

Jammeh has also praised Gambians for their contribution to the
development of their country's economy and also urged other African
leaders to promote peace on the continent.

Abu-Hassan Koroma
Founder, President & CEO

21st Century African Youth Movement
P.O.Box 8582