AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Marie Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2017 07:01:12 -0500
April 27, 2017
Aljazeera.com

Western media misrepresent voluntary child labour as slavery.
[image: Trafficking exploded as an issue in West Africa when a boat full of
irregular migrants was intercepted on its way from Benin to Gabon in 2003,
writes Howard [AP]]
Trafficking exploded as an issue in West Africa when a boat full of
irregular migrants was intercepted on its way from Benin to Gabon in 2003,
writes Howard [AP]byNeil Howard
<http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/profile/neil-howard-.html>

@neilphoward <https://twitter.com/neilphoward>

Neil Howard is Research Fellow at the University of Antwerp.

The Guardian recently featured a heart-rending story about children rescued
from trafficking
<https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/gallery/2017/apr/12/west-african-children-rescued-from-slavery-in-pictures?CMP=twt_a-global-development_b-gdndevelopment>in
Togo, paralleling a previous story on the same subject in Benin. Both
reports painted a picture that will be familiar to many: ruthless employers
exploiting the innocent; parents compelled by poverty to "sell" their
children; cultural backwardness making things worse, helpful NGOs saving
the day.

It's powerful stuff. But it's also highly misrepresentative. And it's
actually so simplistic that while I doubt neither the integrity nor the
good intentions of these journalists or those publishing similar pieces
<http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com/category/chocolates-child-slaves/>,
their work arguably makes things worse for the very people whose suffering
they are trying to highlight.

In what follows, I'll explain how, and I'll do so by drawing on 10 years of
research and a recent book I have published on the issue, with some of the
very communities mentioned in these articles.
*'Migrants, not victims'*

First, some background. Trafficking exploded as an issue in West Africa
when a boat full of irregular migrants
<http://www.independent.ie/world-news/africa/concern-over-fate-of-missing-child-slaves-349185.html>was
intercepted on its way from Benin to Gabon in 2001. Because it was full of
children and teenagers, it was labelled a "slave-ship" that heralded the
arrival of a modern-day slave trade. UNICEF was responsible for this
initial labelling, but it was picked up by international journalists, the
US Trafficking in Persons Office, and countless NGOs. Within months it had
become accepted knowledge and millions of dollars began to flow into the
region to end "the scourge of child trafficking".

But there was a problem. The young people on that boat didn't consider
themselves victims of any crime, and certainly not child trafficking. In
2007, I interviewed a number of them
<https://me.eui.eu/neil-philip-howard/blog/why-and-how-we-need-to-talk-to-the-victims/>and
it was clear that they were just youngsters migrating for work. Adri was 19
when we spoke and 13 at the time of his rescue. "We were migrants", he
said, "not slaves". "We'd paid a smuggler to get us to Gabon because we
were hoping to find some work there in the fisheries".

So, after being "rescued" by the authorities, he and his friends had to go
back to their villages until they had made enough money to leave again,
which most of them promptly did.

READ MORE: A migrant's journey begins
<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/migrant-journey-begins-150520080857232.html>

This was far from unusual. In the years I spent working in Benin and
Nigeria, I interviewed hundreds of kids officially labelled as victims of
trafficking and not one told me that he'd been kidnapped or coerced. Other
researchers have found similar things in Benin
<https://www.academia.edu/11888968/Howard_N._and_Morganti._S._2015_Not_Child_Trafficking_in_Benin_in_M._Dragiewicz_Ed._._Global_Human_Trafficking_New_Research_in_Context._London_Routledge_91-104>,
in other West African countries
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/iman-hashim/pathologising-young-people%E2%80%99s-movement>,
and in countries as diverse as Argentina
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/tanja-bastia/beyond-child-trafficking>
and South Africa
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/joel-quirk-marlise-richter-thea-de-gruchy-jo-vearey/doing-more-harm-than-good-politics>,
to name only two.

Then why were they moving? The most obvious and basic answer is that these
kids needed the money, like anyone else living under capitalism
<http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/04/capitalism-coercion-2014417133923106962.html>.
It's not that they were starving, in the way that one thinks when one reads
sentences like "poverty pushes their parents to sell them". Few people
experience poverty like that, and almost no one in Benin or Togo is
starving. But everybody needs money. Whether that be to pay school fees, to
get ready for marriage, or simply to help out at home, money is essential
and for many people migrating is the only way to access it. Sometimes kids
will move of their own accord and at others parents will find them a job
and take part of their earnings as a contribution to the household. Hardly
the same as a "sale".

"People with access to what I call 'meaning-making power' - the press,
respected international agencies, the type of folk we quote as authorities
- tend to reproduce sensationalist received ideas without even questioning
them."
*Reproducing sensationalist ideas*

So, what is going on here? Why is it that journalists and the development
workers they talk to say one thing and academics like me and these young
migrants say another? For one thing, sadly, most development workers and
pretty much all the journalists who interview them simply don't spend
enough time in these places to really understand what is happening.

The journalists who write these stories will probably have spent a few days
on site at most, while the majority of international NGO staff or UN
employees will have spent barely any more. Although it may sound
ridiculous, of the 100 or so development workers I interviewed as part of
my research, only a handful had ever even met the communities they labelled
with their words or targeted with their policies, and none had ever lived
among them.

This matters a lot. Because it means that people with access to what I call
"meaning-making power" - the press, respected international agencies, the
type of folk we quote as authorities - tend to reproduce sensationalist
received ideas
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/mike-dottridge/creation-of-%E2%80%98trafficking%E2%80%99>without
even questioning them.

When it comes to children, one of the most powerful of these is that they
are all inherently vulnerable and thus in danger when at work or on the
move. The result is that many migrant working children are automatically
assumed
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/roy-huijsmans/child-trafficking-%E2%80%98worst-form%E2%80%99-of-child-labour-or-worst-approach-to-youn>to
be victims of trafficking when they are away from home, with the blame put
variously on irresponsible parents, weak states, or abstract poverty. UN
staff are taught to think like this, and the journalists who interview them
are inevitably taught to think the same.

But that isn't the whole story. Because not all development workers
uncritically accept what they are told and some know that reality is more
complex. However, as Nina, a very senior UN employee once told me: "The
trouble is that stories about poor kids migrating because of
political-economic injustice simply don't sell. It's suffering that sells
in Africa. You have to be sexy to raise money, and trafficking or slavery
is sexy".

OPINION: On capitalism and coercion
<http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/04/capitalism-coercion-2014417133923106962.html>

Just think about that for a minute. It's not about corruption, at least not
in the formal sense of that term. It's about is an entire political system
designed to eschew the political economy of lack and instead reproduce
comforting stories about African cultural backwardness amid the grinding
pressure of poverty, since that's what sells among the largely white,
Western media audience and the donor agencies we fund. If suffering is sexy
in Africa, it's not the kind that is caused by our governments.
*Making things worse*

This brings me back to the Guardian piece and to similar pieces like it. I
don't doubt that the journalists who produce this work are good people
trying to make the world a better place. I know a number of them and am
certain that they believe in what they're doing. The problem is, though,
that this kind of work arguably makes things worse
<http://www.lauraagustin.com/site-map/rescue-industry>.

It deploys a gaze which is almost pornographic. In this respect, it
disempowers the people it looks at and de-politicises the conditions in
which they live. By constructing children as victims, it legitimises
policies or raid-and-rescue missions that often make life worse
<http://humantraffickingcenter.org/the-untold-side-of-raids-and-rescues-re-thinking-anti-trafficking-efforts/>for
"rescued" kids. And by individualising suffering and exploitation, it
detracts from the global structures
<https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/mar/05/does-west-care-development>that
make these things possible.

Though many examples of this tendency exist, one in particular stands out.
In the early 1990s, US Senator Tom Harkin, who was then the world's most
influential political donor in the global fight against child labour,
introduced a bill to the US Senate to ban textile imports from Bangladesh
unless factories could show that they were child labour-free.

Harkin had been horrified by images of working children in Bangladeshi
factories and was disgusted that their labour propped up US retail supply
chains. His intention was thus to "help". Yet from the perspective of the
kids he sought to assist, his intervention was an unmitigated disaster.
Almost overnight, thousands were laid off, with many ending up in far worse
conditions - on the street, in sex work, or in dangerous factories even
further under the radar. Surely it would have been better for him to
address the power of US corporations buying from Bangladeshi factories,
demanding an extension of labour rights and good pay all the way down to
the young workers in question?

OPINION: Abolitionism - A hostage to capitalist forces?
<http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/05/abolitionism-hostage-capitalist-f-2014514772623122.html>

Ultimately, the pornographic gaze that allows for these kinds of
interventions is part of the problem it seeks to remedy. Far better, I
would suggest, for journalists to spend longer with the people on whom they
report, to let them tell their own stories, and to use the privilege of
access to the global press to contextualise their stories in global
structures of power and exclusion
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/jason-hart/antipolitics-of-%E2%80%98child-protection%E2%80%99>of
the kind characterising life under neoliberal capitalism. Then they might
start making a difference.

*Neil Howard is Research Fellow at the University of Antwerp and
Founder-Editor of Beyond Trafficking and Slavery at openDemocracy.net.*

*The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not
necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial policy.*

--
Ann Marie

"The art of living consists of knowing what to pay attention to and what to
ignore."  -- Mardy Grothe

Join the African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year.

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701  Phone: 608-258-0261

Email: [log in to unmask]   Web: www.AfricanAssociationofMadison.org