AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:26:41 -0500
Dear Nathaniel:

Your message seems to ask two basic questions:  1) "how can I obtain the exact same rights and privileges and passwords that you have to [log in to unmask]";   2)  "how can the administration of the
listserver be finally in the hands of the members."

I have tried to answer the first question but, please, let me try again. Basically you are asking to have your email address included in the Header of the CU List as "Owner", i.e., list administrator.  That is the process.  The authority to add your email to the Header comes from the CU Executive Committee.  Please keep in mind that to serve as "owner", a person needs to have a certain level of knowledge and command of the Listserv program language.  That is why my previous answers may seem technical.  Again, Listserv is the name of a computer program which is designed to manage or "serve" email lists; hence the term "list server".  Listserv, unlike web-based servers, does not have a user-friendly, point-and-click interface.  To manage a Listserv lists "owners" must use program language commands, which are extensive but not difficult.  These commands must be used for list functions such as managing subscriptions, changing the List's Header parameters, etc.

My sense is that your line of inquiry does not really pertain to the functional management of the list.  Rather, it focuses on the issue of your second question.  You stated that only a couple of people are dictating the use of
the CU list.  This is not at all correct.  The CU list is open and unmoderated for discussion without restrictions other than to follow the principles and guidelines of the organization.  Both the CU organization and its email list membership are free and open to anyone who is committed to its mission and principles.  The list administrators have no role whatsoever in determining how the list is used;  this role is that of the membership.

The issue of the official communication list will be included in the next CU meeting agenda, which will be held on October 8, at Noon.  We will discuss  your concerns in the context of that issue.  As always, you are welcome to attend.  Till then, I will refrain from posting additional messages on this topic.

Respectfully,
Peter Munoz
Chair, Communities United

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/28/01 08:17AM >>>
Peter, how does one obtain the exact same rights that you have to
[log in to unmask]  You know that this is exactly what I was
requesting, but you keep trying to dodge the issue.  I don't what to be the
owner.  I do want all the other rights and passwords.

You are trying to use the same evasive tactics that Amos Anderson uses
(Amos: "How do you define Latino?".  Peter: "How do you define
listserver?"  President Clinton:  "It depends on what the definition of is
is").  Again, how can I obtain the exact same rights and privileges and
passwords that you have to [log in to unmask]

I ask the questions publicly because the issue is a CU issue, which is "Why
is only a couple people dictating the use of
[log in to unmask]  And, how can the administration of the
listserver be finally in the hands of the members?

On several occasions, a couple "real members" of CU made important
decisions in the name of CU.

Again, how can I obtain the exact same rights and privileges and passwords
that you have to [log in to unmask]  This message only asks about
[log in to unmask]  I don't want to hear about Yahoo.  Like you and
Alphonso, I want to be a moderator of [log in to unmask]