Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:35:31 -0400
Hi Mary,
>>How much bone did HG eat? Did they eat it cooked or raw? Did they chew on
raw bones?

There is anthropological evidence that early man broke open bones and sucked
out the marrow.  I don't know about raw bones, but Don and I love to eat the
marrow from bones.  When I cook chicken or turkey, we may bite of the (soft)
end of the long bone and eat the marrow inside (esp. good if you are a woman
and menstrate as I think you get a lot of blood building nutrients!!).  The
cartiage from poultry breasts and the cartilage from the back bon is often
easy to chew.   (If like cures like, I think it could help our bones and
cartialage!)  We enjoy them, although be careful if you do this at a
pot-luck barbecue (as we once did :))) as members at the table may wonder
what you are munching and crunching on!!! hehehe!

 (I KNOW SOME FOLKS ON THIS LIST DON'T COOK AND ALL THAT....SKIP THIS POST
IF YOU DON'T LIKE TO!)

The bones we do not knaw on I save in a container in the freezer, then at a
later date cook to make what I call *bone broth*.  I save all beef bones as
well.   The broth is thick and often milky looking and I've read it can
contain as much calcium as a glass of milk. I use it to simmer vegetables,
moisten stir fried or sauteed veggies (that need more liquid in cooking), to
make soup, or to heat, season and serve as a nice broth with a meal.

Just yesterday I cooked two Cornish game hens with herbs.  The bones were
extremely soft and we could eat a lot of them.  (Yes, we still eat some raw
meat, fish, raw eggs, raw veggies and fruis...but we also eat some cooked
meats and vegetables.  How long man has been cooking is controversail!!)

I hope that helps!

Rachel
(who does not yet knaw on raw meat bones!!! :))