From:
Lauri Light <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:55:07 EST
One thing many paleo people are not aware of is that there are different
metabolic types, which DOES reflect genetics & anthropology (this is why
knowing your geographical/ethnic anscestry can be very useful). Different
metabolic types have evolved, and can be generally categorized into three
types: the "hunter/gatherer" types, which tend to have an acidic venous blood
ph; the "mixed" type, and the third "plant" type which tends to have alkaline
venous blood ph. It's the hunter/gatherers who do very well on a high
fat/high purine diet, which would consist of lots of dark & fatty meats, and
low carbohydrates: maybe a few roots and leafy greens. On the opposite end is
the plant type, which does NOT do well with fats or dark meats or other foods
with a high purine content. This type can still eat paleo-style, but would do
better with lots of fruits and veggies and light meats, and not a lot of fat.
There is so much more than simple paleo eating. Not all people should do
paleo in a high fat/low carb style. Their ancestors may not have. This only
works for some types! It's all about what you as an INDIVIDUAL are adapted to
handle. For more information on metabolic types:

book: Biobalance by Wiley (he has some articles as well) Wiley writes about
metabolic types but does not relate them to the above anthropological
categories. His approach can be adopted to paleo.

go to dr. Stoll's website and search archives for metabolic diets:
http://bcn.net/~stoll/index.html
Robert McFerran writes about metabolic diets from an anthropological viewpoint

The author of " Dear Paleopeople" may not be well-adapted to a high fat/low
carb diet. When the Paleo approach takes the view that all should eat the
same way then Paleo is no better than ANY "diet" approach that claims to be
universal for everyone. Of course, everyone is different. But we know that.

Lauri Light

<<
Dear Paleopeople:
As a foundling cave-girl, I've been lurking in the background, but now
feel ready to ask away.&nbsp; When I was a Macromama (macrobiotic), I was
lean and mean like a hunter gatherer.&nbsp; Like James, I've put on 10
lbs. since doing paleo since August. .&nbsp; Now I'm storing fat in all
the wrong places, despite walking up hills.&nbsp; I don't do weights, just
normal life activities.&nbsp; I'm sort of stuck - if I don't eat things
like carrots, yams at least once per day, I feel flat and lackluster (no
more than one cup per day, cooked).&nbsp; But, if I try to up the fat in
order to replace the starchy veggies, I feel like I'm being attacked by
my gall bladder (queasy, fullness in gut)..... >>